The COVID-19 pandemic only increased the amount of time we spend online. A report by eMarketer found adults in the United States spent nearly eight hours a day interacting with digital media in 2020. That’s up more than 15% from 2019.
If you want to reach your audience where they spend most of their time, it’s clear you need to invest in digital media.
Social media has become a big part of digital marketing strategies. Some companies, especially B2B, may think there is no place for them on social media. But that’s not the case. There is a social media platform that can benefit every company.
Instead of thinking of social media as irrelevant, think of it as a way to distribute your own content in a way that can build a meaningful connection to your audience.
If you’re not convinced yet, here are six reasons why businesses need social media.
- Create your news - Don’t let someone else define your company. If you’re not on social media, you risk letting others determine your reputation. For example, when a potential customer Googles your company, they could potentially see what others are saying about you via Yelp or other sites with high visibility. Using social media is one way to gain control of the narrative and boost your Google rankings. You can share what’s really important and relevant to you. Everyone loves a good story. Sharing positive stories involving your company is a great way to create your news and boost your online reputation.
- Establish authority - Set yourself up as a thought leader in your industry by creating relevant and helpful content. This is important in two ways. First, sharing content on social media may influence potential customers. Many people look for information online before they make a purchase. Make sure what they see about your business is compelling enough for them to take a step forward in the buying process. Second, you can make connections that will help your business grow. Think about future employees, possible business partners, and other thought leaders within your industry. Connecting with these groups creates endless opportunities.
- Build brand awareness - If you’re not on social media, you’re missing out on the opportunity to reach nearly half of the world’s population. The amount of time people spend on social media is only increasing. Use this opportunity to build your brand awareness. One way to do this is to invest in video marketing on social media. A report from GlobalWebIndex says 56% of people on main social media platforms watch videos every month.
- Increase sales - You can easily generate leads on social media. When someone decides to interact with your content on social media, you’re increasing lead generation and conversions. Also, social media ads are an increasingly popular way to grab attention from a new and specifically targeted audience.
- Encourage engagement - Communication with your audience is no longer a one-way channel. With traditional marketing, you put your ads out with little knowledge of how they’re received. With social media, you have a chance to build lasting relationships by talking to your audience. Respond to questions and comments. If you’re brave enough, ask about your products and how they can be improved. You’ll likely get helpful insight. The best part? It’s free.
- Target your audience - Another advantage to social media: you know who you are talking to so you can reach the right audience. You’re able to target content to a specific audience so you can make the most of your marketing budget. Social media ads can be an effective way to reach your target audience without overspending. Plus, you’ll get immediate data that can guide future business decisions.
Now that you know why you need to be on social media, the next step is to create your social media marketing strategy. For help crafting the right plan for you, contact Lucie Content. Producing and distributing quality content are key to success on social media platforms.